Frequently Asked Questions

If you have any questions or concerns that are not addressed in our frequently asked questions, feel free to contact us.

  • How can we book our school group or birthday party?
  • School groups and birthday parties are booked 4-6 weeks in advance through our sales department with a $100 non-refundable deposit due at time of booking on MasterCard, Visa, or Discover. Please see Field Trips and Birthday Parties for more information.

  • Do you offer group rates?
  • Discounted rates are available for groups of 15 or more people. Please see Group Rates for more information.

  • How long does it take to tour the whole zoo?
  • If want to experience everything we have to offer, we suggest planning on spending at least 2 hours here.

  • How often do the Safari Open Air Bus Tours run?
  • Currently, on weekdays, buses will run at 11:00a, 1:00p, and 3:00p.

    On weekends, guests will be assigned a scheduled bus time upon arrival.

  • Does the Safari Open Air Bus Tour take you through the entire zoo?
  • No. The first half of the zoo must be walked to be enjoyed. The guided wagon ride boards from the lower half of the zoo and will take you on a 20 minute tour through the free roaming preserve.

  • Can I ride the Open Air Bus if I have a stroller?
  • Yes, but strollers cannot load on the bus. They must be parked in the designated areas upon loading the bus.

  • Will the guided Safari Open Air Bus Tours run still run if it rains?
  • Yes. But for the safety of our guests and employees, the bus rides will be delayed if there is lightning.

  • Will I see animals if I come to the zoo and it rains? Do the animals come out in the rain?
  • The animals live outside year round, rain or shine. While we cannot guarantee specific animals will be visible, many of our animals prefer the cooler weather during the rain. If the weather is extreme many will seek shelter in their indoor areas and appear off exhibit.

  • Do you offer rain refunds?
  • No. Roer’s Zoofari does not offer refunds for rainy days. We recommend that guests dress for outdoor weather and check the extended forecast prior to visiting.

  • Can I return to the zoo any time during the day once I have purchased my ticket?
  • Yes, your ticket is good for the entire day. Guests who would like to leave Zoo grounds and return the same day must keep their receipt and will need to provide it for re-entry.

  • Can we feed the animals?
  • Yes! Cups of animal feed, bird sticks, and milk bottles for baby goats/lambs are available at the admission counter and in the gift shop for purchase. You can feed the animals in the designated feeding areas including bison, goats, sheep, llamas, deer, and parakeets.

  • Are you open on Sundays?
  • Yes! Please see Visitor Information for a full calendar of hours of operation.

  • Are pets allowed?
  • No. We do not allow pets in the zoo or on the property, including service dogs. This is for your pet’s safety.

  • Can we bring our picnic into the zoo?
  • Yes. Outside food and non-alcoholic beverages are allowed for people only. No outside food or beverages may be fed to the animals. For your convenience, we have several picnic areas that guests can enjoy at the zoo.

  • Can you smoke inside the zoo?
  • Smoking is not permitted on zoo grounds. The is a designated smoking area for visitors is in the main zoo parking lot.

  • Do you have wheelchairs for rent?
  • No, we do not have wheelchairs to rent at this time. Guest are always welcome to bring their own strollers, wagons or wheelchairs.

  • Can we bring a grill to use in your pavilions?
  • No. Grills are not allowed in our pavilions or on zoo grounds, but you may bring a picnic lunch or snack and enjoy the pavilion area.

  • Do you take in injured or orphaned wildlife?
  • No, Roer’s Zoofari cannot accept injured or orphaned animals. Please contact the Virginia Department of Fish and Wildlife at (850) 488-4676 for information.

    Please remember, native wildlife, both mammals and birds, are protected by state and federal wildlife laws. For information on injured or orphaned animals and a list of local rehabilitators, visit Virginia Department of Fish and Wildlife.